Thursday, July 28, 2016

Inspired By Reading ~ The Fault In Our Stars

I'll admit it - I over-extended myself with way too many events in April and May. It was great to step back and travel in June and scale back even more in July. This has given me the chance to read and dive back into the Inspired By Reading book club started by Andrew Thornton.

For July, we read The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, a poignant story of two teenagers battling cancer. I hope to see the movie someday.

Hazel, a main character, finds parallels in her life and the life of the main character in her favorite book. That character's mother fell in love with a "Dutch Tulip Man".

I was inspired to create tulips - 2 ways, on copper ovals cut in the hydraulic press with Potter USA's spoon shaped pancake die.

First I etched a flower design that I colored with alcohol inks.
I kept this design simple with a dangling carnelian bead and copper chain.





My next tulip is enameled on copper. I mixed the powdered enamel with Thompson's A-3 Holding Agent to create a liquid I could paint with.




Originally, I had planned to hang the pendant from a simple mixed seed bead necklace, but it needed something more. I love the way the little carnelian dangles on the silver chain tie the piece together.



















Finally - a pair of sterling silver earrings with stamped stars.




Thanks for visiting!




4 comments:

  1. I love all three of these pieces! So pretty and so perfect for the inspiration. I love the dangles on the middle necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Jeanne!! All your creations are great but I really love the simplicity of your first necklace... the etched and colored design is beautiful. Your star earrings are super fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the enameled pendant! Great way to highlight the orange color with tulips and carnelian! Love the perfect star earrings as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them all, but my favorite is the first necklace. Great job with the alcohol inks-- the colors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete