Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Rumor of Gems - Inspired By Reading Design

As if I didn't have enough to do, I decided it would be fun to join an online book club organized by Andrew Thornton.
Ah - but this is no ordinary book club. Each month we read a different book which should inspire us to create.
Click here to find out more about the club and upcoming titles
http://andrew-thornton.blogspot.com/2013/03/inspired-by-reading-book-club.html


For the month of May we read (or are still reading) A Rumor Of Gems, by Ellen Steiber. It's a very engrossing story of magic and relationships set in an old town, but in modern times. I tend to be very literal and became obsessed with the moonstones.  With little time before a weekend show, I put together two very simple pieces with amazonite, moonstone and sterling silver.



Finally, I wanted to create a labradorite bridge. Instead settled for this bracelet with beautiful labradorite from my stash. I just had to highlight it's brilliant flash with apatite. There are some great charcoal gray shell pearls and, of course, sterling silver.












 I can't wait to see what some of the other participants have created. I'm sure they'll be a bit more creative then me.

12 comments:

  1. I really like your pieces. They speak very clearly of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! I'm still finishing the book and have other ideas swirling in my head.

      Delete
  2. The Labradorite Bridge inspired me also. Both of your pieces are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I still want to create a labrodorite bridge! I think I've figured it out, but it will have to wait till school's out in 2 1/2 weeks.

      Delete
  3. Great gem choices! So perfect for the book. I dont think its a bad thing to be obsessed with moonstones.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jennifer!
      The sweet moonstone and amazonite bracelet sold on Sunday! Most of my pieces are one of kind, but I might have to recreate that one. :)

      Delete
  4. Your pieces are really lovely! They're totally wearable and stylish! I think you did a great job translating the labradorite bridge into a bracelet. And I've been dreaming about that moonstone necklace in the book! Thanks so much for participating and taking on another project! We're happy to have you in the group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for welcoming me, Andrew! And for your thoughtful response. I'm amazed at the creativity and skills of the group. I can't wait to have the time to use other techniques and develop new skills.
      Looking forward to joining you in person sometime in the future!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I especially love that bracelet! I'm all about the labradorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks you Sarajo!
    I might have to keep this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeanne, these are gorgeous!! I always love your designs & still wear the turquoise & copper crocheted bracelet I custom ordered from you a couple of years ago! I always get a lot of compliments on it, too. :) Hope you're enjoying the book as much as I am! Hugs to you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lynn! So good of you to visit! Can't wait for our next chat!

      Delete