Friday, January 29, 2016

Inspired By Reading ~ The Magicians

Yikes!

I can't believe it's been three months since my last post.
I have been reading and I have been creating for the Inspired By Reading Book Club, hosted by Andrew Thornton. I just haven't found the time to write and post.

The most recent book for our club is The Magicians, by Lev Grossman.  The story line feels like a marriage of Harry Potter and The Chronicles Of Narnia.  Although I am still reading the book, a few images have spoken to me.

At one point during the testing to determine Quentin's magical discipline, sparks flew out of his fingertips. Lightning bolts came to mind, so I created these earrings out of 18 gauge sterling wire.





















One of the professors brought a lizard to the testing. I thought I must have a lizard my stash of Green Girl Pewter. And there I found Cynthia Thornton's Gecko Ball. I created a simple pendant with a sterling silver chain tassel.




If you want to learn more about this book, and see another design, you really should visit Sarajo Spurgeon Wentling's blog Sj Designs Jewelry.















4 comments:

  1. How fun! Love the cool, graphic effect of the earrings. They remind me of the Ziggy Stardust thunderbolt! And the necklace you made is really lovely and compliments the bead so well! Good job and thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrew! I know I'll have to make more lightning bolts! And you know how much I love Green Girl. Cynthia always seems to have just what I need.

      Delete
  2. I love those lightning bolts! They are super fun! I'd forgotten about the lizard at the testing... I tend to forget details. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarajo!
      I keep a few little post-it's in the front of the book so I can mark parts that might be useful. Otherwise, I'd forget too!

      Delete