Thursday, May 8, 2014

Deep Waters Challenge

Today is the reveal for Andrew Thornton's Deep Waters Challenge. (You can click on the link for more info.) And here I am, once again posting at the last minute. As usual, I bit off more than I can chew.
This time Andrew provided us with a kit of lovely ocean blues.  
As usual, he included a "mystery component" - one of his delightful ceramic pieces. I truly enjoy Andrew's challenges because they encourage me to use materials I probably would not pick out for myself. And because I always challenge myself to try new techniques.




As soon as I saw the waxed cord, I knew I'd be tying knots. I decided to make a lariat. I love the versatility of lariats - they can be tied anywhere you want for different looks.





Aren't these aqua blues so summery???

















I just had to highlight Andrew's seahorse pendant, so I made silver circle to frame it. I.m having so much fun with my torch and metal stamps! I used the 6mm swirl from Impress Art. Then I wondered how Vintaj patina would work on silver (here's my new technique!) I chose lapis from my supplies, put it on pretty heavy and wiped it off. Yay! The patina stayed in the stamped impressions. After steel wool and the tumbler, I was thrilled with the results!  


I wasted a lot of silver figuring out how to get it to all hang just right, finally settling on chain and jump rings. (Don't worry, scrap silver is Never wasted.)
As an afterthought I strung the rectangular seed beads with some round spacers and Bali beads. I really like the way it brings out the blue in the silver ring and Andrew's pendant.  The two parts can be worn separately or attached like I have them.





Don't forget to visit the other participants!
It's always fun to see how different artists approach the same materials.
Kari Asbury
Shay Williams
Christina Porter
Molly Alexander
Andrew Thornton, Marian Howarth, Julie Katz, Crystal Farrel, Laurel Ross, Alison Herrington
Carolyn Lawson

7 comments:

  1. I just love the lariat. Heck both of them are necklaces that wo8uld get a lot of use with my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shay! I'm not sure which I like more - or if I can sell either one. ;)

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you meant when you saw the waxed linen - I'm a knotter as well, and couldn't resist! I really like the lariat design - so versatile. The second necklace is stunning, and you have definitely done Andrew's beautiful focal justice. I love both designs, and would wear either of them any time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly - I used to avoid knots like the plague. Now I find knotting very rewarding and relaxing. Thanks so much for your kind comments!

      Delete
  3. gorgeous designs! I really love what you did with the seahorse pendant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari! I have to say I'm pretty excited about that pendant. I love the risk I took with the patina. I see lots of earrings this summer.
      I wore the seahorse necklace to a networking event last night and got lots of compliments.

      Delete
  4. I hopped earlier, but didn't get a chance to leave a comment yet. Eek! I wanted to say how great both of your pieces turned out! I always look forward to how you're going to creatively push yourself next! You've added a lot of different techniques to your toolbox! And I'm really proud to be a part of that catalyst. I love how fresh and ocean the lariat looks. And I am really digging how the silver frames the sea horse pendant perfectly and continues the wave theme. The piece looks really expensive and very classy! Nicely done! Thank you as always for participating!

    ReplyDelete